It is clear to EDEN staff in our work with clients every day that housing is critical to personal and public health. It’s also at risk for many households following the economic consequences of the pandemic. We are working harder than ever to meet the rising need for affordable housing in our community – a need that only continues to grow as COVID-19 spreads, threatening public health and economic security.
We depend on the generosity and support of friends and partners like you to continue meeting the increasing demand for our services.
In the month of April alone:
- We moved seven formerly chronically homeless residents, who traditionally experience the most significant barriers to housing, into permanent supportive housing buildings.
- We housed a total of 45 households from shelter (27 families, 17 single adults and one single youth).
- We are currently providing 328 households with temporary rental assistance.
- We housed one family and three single adults directly from shelter into a unit with a permanent housing voucher.
- We transitioned five families from a temporary housing program to a permanent housing program due to their vulnerability and need for additional assistance to avoid re-entering homelessness.
- We housed five clients returning to the community from prison.
- We assisted 10 households with one-time assistance for a security deposit and/or first month’s rent in order to get them into a permanent unit.
- We assisted six families with utility bills, back rent due, application fees and security deposits.
- We assisted one young adult with a security deposit to move in to a new unit and one with assistance with back rent so they did not return to shelter.
- We completed orientations with 10 new clients approved for a permanent housing voucher.
- We assisted our first group of clients with OHFA Funds, relieving six households of back rent that was due and catching them up to current using Emergency Rental Payments.
We serve over 4,000 households every year, and we’ve never stopped working to provide housing solutions to those facing homelessness and housing insecurity. But the needs are ongoing, and increasing – and we need your support to continue meeting them.
Over the past five weeks, we’ve shared five personal stories with you that illuminate how critical housing and supportive services are to people in our community. You’ve now heard about:
- utilizing funds to to provide back rent payments to three households in order for them to remain stably housed in their units, after receiving a concerned call from a landlord
- moving a worried client and her children out of shelter and into a new home
- a client and her children becoming the first family to receive a housing voucher after being placed on the wait list for EDEN’s Mainstream Housing Choice Voucher Program, which means our client is better able to move forward in her career
- a client who misses her older parents and gains comfort visiting with the EDEN property manager of her permanent supportive housing building
- surprising families struggling with food security with gift cards to Dave’s Markets to help ease the burden of keeping their families fed
The achievements in April listed above represent hundreds of individuals and families whose lives are directly impacted by EDEN’s work, and by your support. We are grateful for your help, and proud to be a part of a community that supports each other.
One of EDEN’s properties in Cleveland